I love a good snowy winter. With freshly fallen snow, the world becomes a wonderland. There’s the magic behind every frosted tree. In Wisconsin, if you take a walk in the woods, you might spot a deer bounding over snowdrifts or a squirrel searching for an acorn. In this scene, I always enjoy coming across the bright blue of Juniper tree berries.
One of the things I love about essential oils is that you are bringing nature into your home. When I pull out my Juniper Berry Essential Oil for my aches and pains, skincare, and natural insect repellent, it takes me back to those winter walks of white, brown, and evergreen sprinkled with bright blue.
What I Love About Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Besides being one of my favorite winter plants, there’s a lot to love about the benefits of Juniper Berry Essential Oil:
- It’s considered safe to use on pets.
- A great one to have handy when I need to soothe pain fast.
- I like that it combines well with citrus oils to make a more masculine scent perfect as gifts for men.
- It has the ability to uplift my mood and make me feel like I’m walking in the woods.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil Benefits and Recipes
Juniper Berry Essential Oil is a strong antioxidant as shown in a study1. Antioxidants help balance the damage done by free radicals. High levels of free radicals in the body may lead to premature aging, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and other ailments of body organs and systems.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil can help your body detox by helping toxins and other wastes to be carried out of the body. You can also inhale the aroma of this oil a few times a day to energize you.
This oil has been shown to help alleviate fatigue in a study and support those struggling with insomnia3.
- Citrus Summer Diffuser Blend
- Pet Anti-Anxiety Diffuser
- Goodnight Moon Diffuser Blend
- Lights Out Reed Diffuser
Soothes Muscle Pain & Inflammation
Juniper Berry Essential Oil has been found to have local anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties4. Hence, it can help in managing pain and inflammation.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil also acts as a natural cleaner. In a study it was shown to have antibacterial and antifungal5 effects, making it a great ingredient for your skincare regimen.
Perfect for mosquito season, Juniper Berry Essential Oil is a natural insect repellent4. It is also effective in repelling ticks and fleas for your pets.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil Blends Well With
The sweet aromatic pine and woody aroma of Juniper Berry Essential Oil blends well with Bergamot, Cypress, Fir Needle, Grapefruit, Bay (Laurel Leaf), Blood Orange, Black Pepper, and Spearmint Essential Oils.
Simply Earth Blends that Use Juniper Berry Oil
This essential oil blend will help balance skin and reduce the appearance of redness, helping skin look clear and healthy.
This blend is wonderful for providing warmth to the skin. Bye-bye, Veins! Essential Oil Blend helps increase blood flow and reduce the appearance of spider veins.
Relief Essential Oil Blend is a cooling blend that can help soothe occasional discomfort.
The Science Behind Juniper Berry Essential Oil
The reason essential oils can be useful is because of the natural chemicals that make them up. We call these the oil’s chemical constituents. In every batch of essential oil, a certain range of chemical constituents must exist for the oil to be determined pure. Below are the most prevalent organic chemical families we see in Juniper Berry Essential Oil and their known properties.
Juniper Berry’s main constituents are monoterpenes. Oils that are rich in monoterpenes are known to have antiseptic and antibacterial properties, improve circulation, and ease pain. Some essential oils, like Juniper Berry, are also suspected to be antiviral.
This family of chemicals, also known to be rich in Juniper Berry Essential Oil, makes this oil antibacterial and antiseptic, as well as having the ability to relieve muscle spasms and soothe pain.
What Earthies Are Saying About Juniper Berry Oil
Check out our Earthies’ experience using Juniper Berry Essential Oil.
Things To Remember When Using Juniper Berry Oil
Always dilute an essential oil when using it on the skin. This essential oil is unlikely to cause skin irritation when diluted properly. Check out this dilution chart for diluting this essential oil properly.
This essential oil is generally safe to use if you are pregnant. Consult your doctor prior to use.
This essential oil is safe to use with kids age 2+.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil is generally safe to diffuse and use topically on cats. For more information on using essential oils with cats, check out this blog post.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil is generally safe to diffuse and use topically on dogs. For more information on using essential oils with dogs, check out this blog post.
We don’t recommend ingesting essential oils unless under the direction of a doctor certified in aromatherapy. For more information on why we don’t ingest essential oils check out this blog post.
*Please note: This post is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have extensively used essential oils and has not been verified scientifically with clinical tests nor reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious medical concerns, please consult your doctor. The statements given in this blog post have not been verified by the FDA
How Will You Use Juniper Berry Essential Oil?
What’s your favorite Juniper Berry Essential Oil benefits and recipe that we formulated? We’d love to hear about it on social media with @fromsimplyearth and in the comments below!
To learn more about how to use essential oils, check out our Simply Earth Essential Oil Recipe Box. When you subscribe, we’ll ship you a monthly supply of four 100% pure essential oils, six natural recipes, and all the quality ingredients you’ll need to make your own wonderful products for just $44.99/month. All of these goodies have over $100 value, plus we’ll give you a FREE Big Bonus Box when you subscribe.
Subscribe today to learn how to use essential oils!
- Martina Höferl, Ivanka Stoilova, Erich Schmidt, Jürgen Wanner, Leopold Jirovetz, Dora Trifonova, Lutsian Krastev, Albert Krastanov, Chemical Composition and Antioxidant Properties of Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis L.) Essential Oil. Action of the Essential Oil on the Antioxidant Protection of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Model Organism, 2014 Feb
- Rajinder Raina, Pawan K. Verma, Rajinder Peshin, and Harpreet Koura, Potential of Juniperus communis L as a nutraceutical in human and veterinary medicine, 2019 Aug
- Babar Ali, Naser Ali Al-Wabel, Saiba Shams, Aftab Ahamad, Shah Alam Khan, Firoz Anwar, Essential oils used in aromatherapy: A systemic review, 2015 Aug
- Agata Kozioł, Agnieszka Stryjewska, Tadeusz Librowski, Kinga Sałat, Magdalena Gaweł, Andrzej Moniczewski, Stanisław Lochyński, An overview of the pharmacological properties and potential applications of natural monoterpenes, 2014
- Stjepan Pepeljnjak, Ivan Kosalec, Zdenka Kalodera, Nikola Blazević, Antimicrobial activity of juniper berry essential oil (Juniperus communis L., Cupressaceae), 2005 Dec