About once a year, our dog Sam, would have an allergic reaction to some plant he would encounter in the woods behind our house. He would scratch and scratch until sores developed. It can be difficult whether or not to bring a dog to a vet or let the reaction play out. After a couple of days his reaction would subside, but we always felt so terrible for him in the meantime.
That’s what inspired this Itchy Skin Roll-On for pets. This roll on is easy to apply to itch areas and will help soothe dry, itchy irritated skin.
- 2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 2 drops Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- 10 ml of Almond Oil
- 10 ml roll-on bottle
Open your roll on bottle and add 2 drops of Ginger Essential Oil.
Then add 2 drops of Juniper Berry Essential Oil.
Top it off with 10 ml of Almond Oil.
Close your roll-on bottle and give it a good shake to mix the oils together.
This recipe is highly diluted, so if your pet decides he/she wants a lick, it shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re concerned about licking just applying a carrier oil like almond oil or fractionated coconut oil alone to the area will help sooth.
Safety and Disclaimer
- Start slowly when introducing essential oils to your pet. Let them smell the combination of oils before using this recipe. If your pet reacts negatively, using it could cause them emotional discomfort.
- For using essential oils with cats check out this blogpost.
- For using essential oils with dogs Check out this blogpost.
- Please note: This post is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have extensively used essential oils and has not been verified scientifically with clinical tests nor reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious medical concerns, please consult your doctor.
What are your favorite ways to use essential oils with your pets? Share in the comments below! We love hearing new ideas :).