Slime is all the rage. It’s ooey, it’s gooey, it’s stretchy, it’s slimy. What’s not to love? Unfortunately, most slime recipes are made up of glue and borax. While borax is natural and even used in our laundry detergent recipe, it shouldn’t come into contact with the skin.
That’s why we came up with this natural slime recipe. Without the essential oils, this recipe is actually edible (though it might not taste the greatest). It has ingredients you can be confident won’t harm your child, no matter how long they play with it.
What I Love About This Recipe
What I love about this recipe? Slime! I don’t think I need to say anything more, but I will ;). It’s super easy, super fun, and the Tangerine and Lavender Essential Oils add happy and calm feelings to the play.
What’s in the Natural Slime Recipe?
Warm Water creates the base for this recipe.
Psyllium Husk Powder
Psyllium Husk Powder is a fiber that helps hold the ingredients in this recipe together. It’s also known to help digestive problems like constipation.
Cornstarch allows the recipe to thicken in the water! Mixing with hot water allows this to happen.
Tangerine Essential Oil
Tangerine Essential Oil has refreshing and rejuvenating properties that can be beneficial for your little one!* Its fresh, tangy citrus scent will be sure to put you in a good mood.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oil is known for its kid-friendliness! Its fresh, floral and fruity aroma is hard to beat! It brings calming and relaxing properties to this recipe!*
Food Coloring (Optional)
Food Coloring is not required for this recipe, but it brings a fun twist to it! You can customize it if you have multiple kids so that each child can have their own color!
Fractionated Coconut Oil
Fractionated Coconut Oil allows for the essential oils to properly dilute so they don’t harm your little ones. The oils do not absorb into the recipe super well, so making sure they are diluted before is crucial! You can use any carrier oil of your choice, but fractionated coconut oil is what was used in this initial recipe!
Things to Remember When Using This Recipe
This recipe is safe to use with children 2+.
Keep this recipe away from dogs and cats as the oils may cause irritation. For more information on using essential oils with dogs, check out this blog post, for cats, this blog post.
Never ingest any essential oil, even if it’s generally regarded as safe. For more information on why we don’t ingest essential oils, check out this blog post.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Natural Slime Recipe
Fun and Easy Natural Slime for Kids
2 cups Warm Water
1 Tbsp Psyllium Husk Powder
1 Tsp Cornstarch
1 drop Tangerine Essential Oil
1 drop Lavender Essential Oil
3-4 drops Food Coloring (optional)
1 Tsp Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Add water to a medium-sized pot for the stove or large bowl for the microwave.
- Add in the psyllium husk powder.
- Then add your cornstarch, stir to combine.
- Then add your food coloring.
- On the stove, place on medium/low heat and allow it to boil for 8 minutes, do not stir. Keep an eye on your pot as this mixture has a tendency to boil over. Or in a microwave, heat for 10 minutes, stopping and restarting it when it appears about to boil over.
- In a small bowl, add a drop of Tangerine Essential Oil and a drop of Lavender Essential oil to a teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil, and stir to combine.
- Pour oils over mixture.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- This recipe is not as stretchy as slime made with glue and borax, but it’s still ooey, gooey, and fun (plus you can’t beat that it’s natural)!
- This recipe is pretty flexible, I’ve tried it a variety of ways and ended up with a fun slime-y texture. You can make it without cornstarch but found that it holds together better with cornstarch. You can also microwave it or boil it for less time for a more watery slime. This is definitely a fun recipe to experiment with!
- The oils don’t absorb into the slime mixture very well but will nourish your child’s hands as they play with it (great for eczema, dry skin, or allergies).
Slime to Make You Smile!
Your kids will love playing with this slime, and it will have added benefits for them too! Let us know what you think about this natural slime recipe by commenting below or connecting with us on social media @fromsimplyearth!
Subscribe today to our Essential Oil Recipe Box. Each month, you can receive four full-size 100% pure essential oils, six natural recipes, plus the ingredients you need to make them in our Recipe Box.
With the box, you’ll learn new ways to use essential oils, make more essential oil roll-on recipes, and have the peace of mind that you are making your home toxin-free. This month of April, we focus on Home Detox. This box is worth over $150 if priced from the Big Essential Oil Companies. You get all those goodies from Simply Earth for only $44.99. Go get it!