German Chamomile Essential Oil is as beautifully smelling as its flower and as calming as its tea.
The essential oil is steam distilled from the pretty daisy-like flowers of the chamomile plant. There are two different versions of Chamomile Essential Oil – German and Roman Chamomile. Both contain the chemical constituent chamazulene. At Simply Earth, we offer German Chamomile Essential Oil which contains a higher concentration of chamazulene than Roman Chamomile.
Chamomile Essential Oil is famous for providing a tranquil and calming atmosphere, but it has a variety of other benefits as well. This oil can benefit the skin, mood management, overall health, and more. These amazing benefits contribute to the popularity and high demand for this oil.
However, Chamomile Essential Oil is not as easy to produce as other oils. In fact, at least 6.25 pounds of flowers are needed to produce just one ounce of the oil. Nevertheless, each drop of Chamomile Oil is worth it! Read on to learn more about German Chamomile Essential Oil.
German Chamomile Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
Some studies show that digestive issues like diarrhea1, indigestion, and cramping2 may be soothed from the use of Chamomile Essential Oil. It may even improve appetite and help with gas3, thanks to chamomile’s muscle-relaxing properties! These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Chamomile was shown in a study to have effective antibacterial and wound healing properties4. It may accelerate the progression of wound infections, even better than some store-bought topical ointments according to the study. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
The calming and uplifting aroma of this oil can help improve your mood.
Historically, chamomile oil has long been used in treating skin disorders. But this study6 proved to show the plant’s effectiveness in easing atopic dermatitis and frequent scratching due to itchy sensations.
Applying diluted Chamomile Essential Oil to the skin was shown in a study to help soothe pain associated with osteoarthritis7 and carpal tunnel syndrome8 be sure to check out these studies to learn more. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Just like its tea counterpart, studies have shown that Chamomile Essential Oil helps to naturally aid sleep. In one study9, the use of Chamomile Essential Oil was shown to significantly promote and improve sleep quality. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
What Does This Oil Blend Well With?
The strong, fruity, herbaceous aroma of Chamomile (German) Essential Oil blends well with Bergamot, Geranium, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Lavender, Lemon, Myrrh, Neroli, Patchouli, Tea Tree, and Ylang-Ylang Essential Oils.
Simply Earth Blends That Use This Oil
Sweet Dreams Essential Oil Blend
Another Simply Earth blend that uses Chamomile Essential Oil is Sweet Dreams Essential Oil Blend. It is a kid-safe blend that will give your child a natural nudge toward bedtime.
What’s the Science Behind This Oil?
Chamazulene is predominantly present in German Chamomile, much more than Roman Chamomile. This natural chemical compound is considered to have anti-allergy and anti-inflammatory properties and gives German chamomile its characteristic blue color.
Another main constituent of German Chamomile Essential Oil is Bisabolol. This natural chemical has a sweet floral aroma that is used in various fragrances. Bisabolol has various skin healing properties and has anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties.
What Earthies Are Saying About It
What I Love About German Chamomile Oil
German Chamomile Essential Oil has tons of amazing benefits. I keep a diluted roll-on at home and use it anytime I or the kids need it. It makes my toxin-free journey so much easier. Ever since I started using this oil, I have been able to toss the chemically-filled products that I used to use.
Things to Remember When Using This Oil
Always dilute an essential oil when using it on the skin. This essential oil is unlikely to cause skin irritation when diluted properly. If the oil has been oxidized (left with the cap off for long periods of time) it is more likely to cause skin irritation. Check out this dilution chart for diluting this essential oil properly.
This oil is generally safe to use if you are pregnant. Consult your doctor prior to use.
This essential oil is safe to use with kids age 2+.
This essential oil is generally safe to diffuse and use topically on cats. For more information on using essential oils with cats, check out this blog post.
This essential oil is generally safe to diffuse and use topically on dogs. For more information on using essential oils with dogs, check out this blog post.
We don’t recommend ingesting essential oils unless under the direction of a doctor certified in aromatherapy. For more information on why we don’t ingest essential oils check out this blog post.
*Please note: This post is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have extensively used essential oils and has not been verified scientifically with clinical tests nor reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious medical concerns, please consult your doctor. The statements given in this blog post have not been verified by the FDA
This Oil is a MUST!
You can’t be a real essential oil enthusiast if you don’t have a bottle of German Chamomile Essential Oil. The higher price of this oil is 100% worth it. A single drop goes a long way in promoting the health and wellness in your home. What’s your favorite use for German Chamomile Essential Oil? We’d love to hear about it on social media with @fromsimplyearth and in the comments below!
To learn more about how to use essential oils, check out our Simply Earth Essential Oil Recipe Box. When you subscribe, we’ll ship you a monthly supply of four 100% pure essential oils, six natural recipes, and all the quality ingredients you’ll need to make your own wonderful products for just $44.99/month. All of these goodies have over $100 value, plus we’ll give you a FREE Big Bonus Box when you subscribe.
Subscribe today to learn how to use essential oils!
- Sebai H, Jabri MA, Souli A, Rtibi K, Selmi S, Tebourbi O, El-Benna J, Sakly M. Antidiarrheal and antioxidant activities of chamomile (Matricaria recutita L.) decoction extract in rats. 2014 Mar
- Sándor Z, Mottaghipisheh J, Veres K, et al. Evidence Supports Tradition: The in Vitro Effects of Roman Chamomile on Smooth Muscles. 2018 Apr
- Khadem E, Shirazi M, Janani L, Rahimi R, Amiri P, Ghorat F. Effect of Topical Chamomile Oil on Postoperative Bowel Activity after Cesarean Section: A Randomized Controlled Trial. 2018 Jul
- Kazemian H, Ghafourian S, Sadeghifard N, Houshmandfar R, Badakhsh B, Taji A, Shavalipour A, Mohebi R, Ebrahim-Saraie HS, Houri H, Heidari H. In vivo Antibacterial and Wound Healing Activities of Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile). 2018
- Keefe JR, Guo W, Li QS, Amsterdam JD, Mao JJ. An exploratory study of salivary cortisol changes during chamomile extract therapy of moderate to severe generalized anxiety disorder. 2017 Oct
- Lee SH, Heo Y, Kim YC. Effect of German chamomile oil application on alleviating atopic dermatitis-like immune alterations in mice. 2010 Mar
- Shoara R, Hashempur MH, Ashraf A, Salehi A, Dehshahri S, Habibagahi Z. Efficacy and safety of topical Matricaria chamomilla L. (chamomile) oil for knee osteoarthritis: A randomized controlled clinical trial. 2015 Jun
- Hashempur MH, Ghasemi MS, Daneshfard B, Ghoreishi PS, Lari ZN, Homayouni K, Zargaran A. Efficacy of topical chamomile oil for mild and moderate carpal tunnel syndrome: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. 2016 Nov
- Adib-Hajbaghery M, Mousavi SN. The effects of chamomile extract on sleep quality among elderly people: A clinical trial. 2017 Oct