Of all the chores in the world, I like doing the laundry. Why? Watching the clothes go ‘round and round in the machine is the best entertainment for a toddler! It gives me about 10 minutes to do other things without her asking for my attention.
Kidding aside. Laundry is really my therapy. How wonderful it is to transform once dirty clothes to something clean and fresh! I spend quiet evenings folding and savoring the scent. Since I have sensitive skin, my kids included, finding a detergent that’s safe for us can be difficult. I’m glad to come across the best natural laundry detergent recipe that I’m sharing with you. It’s all-natural and smells fresh all the time!
What I Love About This Recipe
- It doesn’t give me a rash!
- It smells really good. Super fresh!
- It’s not too harsh for our clothes. Other detergents would make holes on our clothes because of the chemicals. 🙁
What’s in This Recipe?
Washing Soda is a natural alternative to other nasty chemicals that helps lift stains that are stuck in clothes!
Castile Soap/Fels Naptha Soap (shredded)
Using a bar of Castile or Fels Naptha Soap (shredded) can bring another long-lasting cleaning agent into this recipe!
Borax is a great disinfectant to add to your recipe! You can use Borax alone for laundry detergent, but putting it with all this other goodness will help the full cleaning potential to be obtained!
White Vinegar (optional)
White Vinegar is optional in this recipe. It doesn’t have the harsh smell that regular vinegar has but still gives you the clean you desire!
B.O. Be Gone Essential Oil Blend
B.O. Be Gone Essential Oil Blend is known to get rid of body odor which is great for this recipe!
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon Essential Oil has the fresh scent that you desire for your clothes! It also has added energizing, stimulating, and uplifting properties to go along with the cleaning greatness!
Natural Laundry Detergent Recipe
Best Natural Laundry Detergent Recipe
- Shred a bar of Castile Soap with a cheese grater. For tough stains, I suggest using Fels Naptha!
- In a bowl, mix the shredded Castile Soap with Borax and Washing Soda.
- Add 10 drops of B.O Be Gone Essential Oil Blend. This special blend is made to get rid of body odor.
- Don’t forget to mix 10 drops of Lemon Essential Oil. This is a great oil for cleaning. It smells really good too!
- Mix them all together.
- The best way to store is by putting the mixture in an airtight container. To use, add ¼ cup per load of laundry. Add ½ cup of vinegar to each load of laundry in rinse compartment for a natural fabric softener.
- White Vinegar is a natural fabric softener, but won’t make your laundry smell like vinegar.
- Use caution when using Borax and Washing Soda following recommendations on the box.
- Use Simply Earth dryer balls in the dryer to for more efficient and sustainable drying.
Things to Remember When Using This Recipe
This recipe is safe to use with children 10+. Because the recipe does not come in direct contact with your child, it is safe to use on all clothing.
Use caution using this recipe if you are pregnant or breastfeeding due to the B.O. Be Gone oil blend.
This laundry detergent is not recommended for use in close proximity to cats as its essential oils can cause irritation. For more information on using essential oils with cats, check out this blog post.
This laundry detergent is safe to use in close proximity to dogs. For more information on using essential oils with dogs, check out this blog post.
B.O. Be Gone Essential Oil Blend could inhibit blood clotting. Use caution if this may be an issue for you.
Never ingest any essential oil, even if it’s generally regarded as safe. For more information on why we don’t ingest essential oils, check out this blog post.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Will You Make the Switch?
Ditch the mainstream laundry detergents and make the transition to natural, toxin-free ingredients! Let us know what you think about this recipe by commenting below or connecting with us on social media @fromsimplyearth.
Subscribe today to our Essential Oil Recipe Box. Each month, you can receive four full-size 100% pure essential oils, six natural recipes, plus the ingredients you need to make them in our Recipe Box.
With the box, you’ll learn new ways to use essential oils, make more essential oil roll-on recipes, and have the peace of mind that you are making your home toxin-free. This month of April, we focus on Home Detox. This box is worth over $150 if priced from the Big Essential Oil Companies. You get all those goodies from Simply Earth for only $39. Go get it!