Essential oil recipes are not just limited to skin and personal care products, cleaning products, candles, and roll-on and diffuser recipes. You can also make cute jewelry diffusers and carry the aromatic benefits of essential oils with you all day!
This DIY Clay Diffuser Necklace uses the power of creativity and essential oils to complete your finished product! Create the pendant in your favorite shape, add your favorite oils, and you’ve got a piece of jewelry that everyone will love!
Making this cute jewelry diffuser can also be a fun activity you can share with your kids. Your little ones will love to be able to make their very own creations by molding and coloring clays.
To learn more about the benefits of Essential Oil Jewelry, check out this blog.
What I Love About This Aromatherapy Necklace Recipe
For jewelry diffusers, my personal favorites are necklaces because it is closer to my nose so I can smell the aroma of the essential oils more consistently.
What’s in This Clay Necklace Recipe?
Natural hemp cord is perfect for endless handmade jewelry-making projects. This eco-friendly and natural-colored hemp has that chic, boho look that’s perfect for DIY necklaces.
Air Dry Clay
The clay in this recipe serves as a porous material that acts as a natural passive diffuser so you can enjoy the aroma of the essential oils.
Lid, Bottle Cap, or Cookie Cutter
Any of these options will help you create the shape of the pendant. Use your imagination and see what’s in your home to see what you can use!
Straw or Toothpick
Use a straw, toothpick, or something similar to create a hole in your pendant to string the hemp cord through.
As an optional tool, you can use sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges on your pendant to make it look nice and clean.
A stamp is an easy and fun way to add a design to your pendant. (optional)
Parchment or Wax Paper
The parchment paper is where you will roll, shape, and design the clay so it won’t stick to any surfaces in your home.
Citronella Essential Oil
Citronella Essential Oil has a fresh, citrusy, and fruity aroma that is both calming and uplifting. As a bonus, it can naturally repel bugs! So be sure to wear this before you enjoy an evening outside.
Timber Essential Oil Blend
The vanilla, woody aroma of Timber Essential Oil Blend is a perfect blend to use with the Citronella in this recipe. It adds a warm and soothing aroma.
How to Use Your Aromatherapy Necklace
1. Lay your necklace flat on a sheet of paper towel and add 1-2 drops of essential oils to the clay pendant and wood beads. Some essential oils contain a natural pigment that will discolor the beads. *To clean this off, swish your bracelet through a mixture of half vinegar and half water.
2. Tip your necklace back and forth so the oil spreads evenly and fully absorb into the wood beads and the pendant.
3. Wear your necklace with the oil side facing outward on your chest. The clay and wood will naturally and gently disperse the oil.
4. Once the scent fades, refresh as needed.
Things to Remember When Using This Recipe
Always dilute an essential oil when using it on the skin. This essential oil recipe is unlikely to cause skin irritation when diluted properly. If the oil has been oxidized (left with the cap off for long periods of time) it is more likely to cause skin irritation. Check out this dilution chart for diluting this essential oil properly.
This recipe is not generally safe to use if you are pregnant. Consult your doctor prior to use.
This essential oil recipe is safe to use with kids age 10+.
Cats may find the oils in this recipe irritating. However, we do not expect your cat to be disturbed if you use this recipe as directed. Just be mindful of your pet’s behavior. For more information on using essential oils with cats, check out this blog post.
Dogs may find the oils in this recipe irritating. However, we do not expect your dog to be disturbed if you use this recipe as directed. Just be mindful of your pet’s behavior. For more information on using essential oils with dogs, check out this blog post.
We don’t recommend ingesting essential oils unless under the direction of a doctor certified in aromatherapy. For more information on why we don’t ingest essential oils check out this blog post.
*Please note: This post is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have extensively used essential oils and has not been verified scientifically with clinical tests nor reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious medical concerns, please consult your doctor. The statements given in this blog post have not been verified by the FDA
Earthy Diffuser Necklace Recipe
DIY Clay Diffuser Necklace Recipe
Time: 5 minutes +drying time
Est. Shelf Life: Stable
Yield: 1 necklace
Air Dry Clay
Bottlecap or small cookie cutter*
Parchment or wax paper*
1 drop Citronella Essential Oil
1 drop Timber Essential Oil Blend
- Use a rolling pin or similar utensil to roll out the clay onto a piece of parchment paper. Roll it out until the clay is smooth and flat, about 2-3 mm thick. The clay may discolor your hands, this is natural and will wash off.
Tip: If you are having difficulty with the clay cracking, work a small amount of water into the clay.
- Use a bottle cap or cookie cutter to cut a shape out of the clay; this will be the pendant on your necklace. Remove excess clay.
- Use a toothpick to create a hole through the pendant. The hole needs to be big enough to fit the looped hemp string (see step 8).
- Use a stamp or a toothpick to create a design on your pendant.
- Roll your excess clay into small balls to create beads or more pendants. Use a toothpick to place a hole through the beads to string them through your necklace.
- Allow your pendant and beads to totally dry (typically 1-2 days depending on your climate).
- Once your clay is dry, use sandpaper to smooth the edges of your beads and pendant (optional). You can also paint your pendant and beads with easy patterns and designs using an acrylic craft paint.
- Trim your hemp string to your desired length. (Note: You will need some of the string for your bracelet recipe.) Fold your string in half, place the fold through the hole in the pendant to create a loop, and pull the other ends of the string through the loop to secure your pendant. Add your remaining beads to the string.
- To use, add a couple drops of essential oils to your pendant and beads. Refresh as needed. Some essential oils contain natural pigments which will discolor your beads.
A Beautiful and Practical Necklace!
This recipe is the perfect way to take advantage of on-the-go aromatherapy in a cute way. What does your diffuser necklace look like? We’d love to see it on social media with @fromsimplyearth and in the comments below!
Are you ready to master essential oils? You get FREE access to our Hero Course if you subscribe to our Monthly Essential Oil Recipe Box. With it, you’ll receive 4 pure essential oils, 6 aromatherapist-created recipes, and more—all delivered directly to your door each month for just $39/month. Plus, we’ll give you a FREE Big Bonus Box!
Don’t miss out on the all-natural fun that comes with the Recipe Box; get yours today: Subscribe now to learn how to use essential oils!